The Physics of Filter Coffee by Jonathan Gagne

The Physics of Filter Coffee
The Physics of Filter Coffee
 

Foreword

I studied coffee for quite a while.  Most of the experience and knowledge shared online are more on the "Art" side.  Because of this, coffee brewing appears to be incomprehensible if not mystical.  I did consider to view coffee more on the "Science" side and therefore I started this blog.  Not before long, I learnt Jonathan Gagne from Decent Espresso's Basecamp.  He is a professional astrophysics researcher and an adjunct professor at Universite de Montreal.  He is also doing some studies on coffee brewing from a scientific perspective.  Obviously, he is more knowledgeable and at a better position than I to analyse coffee brewing scientifically.


Jonathan Gagne
Jonathan Gagne


I read some of the posts from his coffee blog and learnt quite a lot.  When he disclosed that he was working on "The Physics of Filter Coffee", having a copy was a no-brainer!

Double Delivery



Double Delivery from Scott Rao

Not long after I ordered the book from Scott Rao's website.  Scott sent me an email telling me that due to some technical problems on his website, he delivered another copy of the book to me.  He is very kind and generous that he did not ask me to return the extra copy and save me the trouble sending the book back.  I am going to share the book with my coffee enthusiast friend as he suggested.


The Book - Look, Layout & Feel

It is a hardcover.  Had a quick glance on the content.  The color of the title and text layout make me feel very comfortable to read.  The pages feel very nice to touch.  There are also loads of graphics.  I believe this book should be an easy read even to non-coffee-geeks.

1st Chapter - Extraction

I just started reading 1st chapter.  I think it is really a good starting chapter for any coffee lovers.  Extraction should be the central subject in coffee brewing.  It is not quite practical for most coffee lovers to roast their own beans and it is nearly impossible for most coffee lovers to grow their own coffees.  That means that coffee lovers usually can only control the coffee flavor profile through the brewing process.  Hence, what determines the final extraction, how to measure the extraction and how does extraction affect the final flavor profile are of utmost importance.

Foreword of the Book

In the past, I usually skipped this part of the books and jump straightly into Chapter 1.  As I grew older, I learnt that things cannot be accomplished by a single person.  Team work is required.  Unconditioned support from the family and partner is precious.  I read many big names in the coffee industry in Foreword and feel thrilled.  Jonathan is a very humble and thankful guy.  Perhaps, I may meet him in person someday.

My Study

There are so many books at my bookshelf.  I have not been concentrated and really tried to finish a book for a while.  I spent so much time on cameras these days.  I really need to sit down and read somethings. 

I believe this would be a very fruitful experience.


The Physics of Filter Coffee
The Physics of Filter Coffee


Read more from Jonathan Gagne @ https://coffeeadastra.com/
Read more from Scott Rao @ https://www.scottrao.com/store


PS: I have finished the reading.  Please go to the link below for more on this great book!

Comments